Have you lost your tax file number? We’ve got you covered. Your tax file number (TFN) is crucial for many financial transactions. But don’t worry if you’ve forgotten it, as you can easily find it through online services. Just sign into your myGov account or use the ATO app.

Find Your TFN Online

You will require your tax file number when:

  • starting a new job
  • applying for government schemes
  • filing a tax return
  • applying for higher education loans

If you don’t have a myGovID, you can create one and link it to the ATO. If online services aren’t your thing, you can usually find your TFN on documents like your tax notice of assessment or letters from the ATO. And if you’re using a registered tax agent, they can help you too.

Other Ways to Find Out Your Tax File Number (TFN)

If you don’t have a myGov account, you can find TFN on:

  • your income tax notice of assessment, when you lodge a tax return
  • received letters from the ATO, such as a statement of account
  • income statement
  • your superannuation account statement.

What If Your TFN is Lost or Stolen?

If your TFN is lost or stolen act fast call the client identity support centre between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. Monday to Friday, and they will assist you in reestablishing your identity.

Update Your TFN Registration Details If You Want

The following information, you need to update on your TFN, such as:

  • Update your contact details

You can update the following information on your own or by asking a taxation accountant:

  • residential address
  • postal address
  • mobile numbers
  • email address
  • Update your name

You are allowed to update your name and title. The fastest method to update your title or name is online. Or, you can also ask your small business accountants to do it for you. To update your name, you need to verify an Australian identity document. If you don’t contain an Australian identity document, you need to update your name by post. If you want to use a name the ATO had previously on record or want to update your title, you are not required to verify an identity document.

  • Update your record of date of birth

Online is the fastest way to update your date of birth. To do this, you need to link your myGov account to the ATO. You are required to verify at least one identity document to update or correct your date of birth. How you do this will depend on what identity document you are using.

  • Update your gender

If you want to update your gender details, you need to provide a certified copy of any one of the documents mentioned below:

  • a valid Australian Government travel document, e.g. a valid passport
  • a territory or state birth certificate that mentions your preferred gender
  • a document from the territory or state Registrar of Births, Marriages, and Deaths identifying a change of gender
  • a statement from a Registered Medical Practitioner that mentions your preferred gender.
  • Update your financial institution details

The ATO can only refund into an Australian bank account. One of the quickest methods to update the details of financial institutions is online. To do this, you need to link myGov account to the ATO. The account needs to be held by:

  • you under your trading name, either jointly or solely
  • your registered BAS or tax agent
  • a legal practitioner acting as your executor or trustee.

When you give your account details, the ATO needs the:

  • bank state branch (BSB) number – this would be 6 digit number
  • account number – the number should not be more than 9 digits
  • account name.

Now, you know what you should do if you forget or your tax file number has been stolen. You can seek help from a professional tax accountant to help you go through finding and recovering your tax file number process. For more details on finding and securing your TFN, you can speak to Reliable Melbourne Accountants.

Watch out this Video:

You May Also Like:
Accounting Firm in Melbourne